Sourdough Honey Whole Wheat Bread
- 1/2 cup Sue Bee® Honey
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shortening
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water.
- Mix Sue Bee® honey, yeast, starter, salt and shortening with 3 cups flour.
- Add more flour as needed to make a stiff dough.
- Knead 150 strokes on a floured surface and place in a greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size.
- Punch down, let double again.
- Punch down and roll into tight loaf.
- Grease and place in bread pan.
- Let double in pan and bake at 400 F. for 35 to 40 minutes or until very dark golden brown, and it sounds hollow when thumped.