Light Rye Bread
- 1/4 cup Sue Bee® Honey
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 1/2-4 cups all-purpose flour
- Mix the Sue Bee® honey and the warm water, add the yeast in stir until dissolved.
- In separate bowl mix together molasses, salt, butter, caraway, and boiling water. stir until dissolved together. Cool a few minutes till lukewarm.
- Add yeast mixture to the molasses mixture.
- Mix in rye flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Mix until well blended.
- Mix in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough is firm and sticks together.
- Knead 5-10 minutes until ball is smooth.
- Place in greased bowl, turning dough so that greased side is up. Cover with towel or cloth and let rise in warm place away from drafts about 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- Punch down and divide in half. Roll out one half with a rolling pin, then roll up dough tightly to form a loaf. Pinch under ends and place in greased loaf pan. Repeat for other half.
- Cover with cloth and let rise 35-60 minutes or until double in bulk.
- Bake 350 F for 30-45 minutes. Cover with foil last 15 minutes of baking if loves brown too fast. Loaves are done when they sound hollow when tapped. Rub butter over loaves as soon as removing from oven if desired.