Sally Sibthorpe’s Honeybee Cake entry in the Sue Bee® honey Sweet Eats Recipe Contest!
- 1 cup Sue Bee® Spun Honey
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3 mashed bananas
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut (plus 1/2 cup toasted coconut for garnish*)
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup Sue Bee Spun Honey, warmed
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup Sue Bee Spun Honey
- 1 1/2 bricks cream cheese, softened (12 ounces total)
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- Sift together flour, soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together Sue Bee® honey, butter, eggs, bananas, orange rind and extracts until well-mixed.
- Stir in dry ingredients until moistened (do not beat).
- Fold in pineapple and 1/2 cup pecans.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9-inch round springform pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 50-60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake is still warm, use a toothpick to gently poke several holes in it.
- Mix together the glaze ingredients and spoon evenly over top of cake. Let cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter at medium speed until smooth. Beat in Sue Bee® honey and orange marmalade at low speed until light and fluffy. Chill until needed.
- When cake is cool, remove side of pan and slide cake off with a spatula unto a cake plate.
- Frost top and sides with cream cheese frosting and top with toasted coconut.
- Store in refrigerator.
- (Garnish is optional.)