Honey and Spice Graham Bars
Janet Gill’s Honey and Spice Graham Bars entry in the Sue Bee® honey Sweet Eats Recipe Contest!
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon SueBee Honey, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper pinch of ground cloves
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 12 whole graham crackers
- 1 cup coarsely crushed pretzels
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white (vanilla) chips
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 10" x 15 " x 1" cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, extending paper slightly over two pan sides for easy removal of bars. Spray parchment with cooking spray.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet on stovetop over medium heat. Meanwhile mix 1 T. honey, 1/2 t. cinnamon, the nutmeg, cayenne and cloves in a small bowl, stir to combine, set aside. Add almonds to preheated skillet. Stirring very frequently to prevent burning, cook almonds just until they are slightly fragrant, about 3 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and stir in honey mixture. Spread almonds on parchment or wax paper to cool.
- Lay whole graham crackers side by side on prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle crushed pretzels evenly over crackers. If needed, break apart cooled almonds, then sprinkle them evenly over crackers and pretzels. Set pan aside.
- Add butter, 1/2 c. honey and brown sugar to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until boiling. Continue stirring and boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 t. cinnamon. Pour honey mixture slowly and evenly over cookie sheet of almonds, pretzels, and graham crackers.
- Bake 10 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Cool completely in pan on cooling rack. When cool, loosen non-papered edges with knife, then lift out bars. Peel off paper, cut into bars. 6.
- Melt each kind of chips with 1/2 t. shortening, place into separate small heavy-duty resealable plastic bags. Cut tiny corner off each bag and drizzle over bars.