Streusel Top “Pumpkin Pie” Stuffed Acorn Squash Drizzled with Honey
Kelly Williams’s Streusel Top “Pumpkin Pie” Stuffed Acorn Squash Drizzled with Honey entry in the Sue Bee® honey Sweet Eats Recipe Contest!
- 2 acorn squashes
- 4 tablespoons soft butter
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Sue Bee® Clover Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut up into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2-4 teaspoons chopped pecans
- 2-4 tablespoons Sue Bee Clover Honey
- whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- With a sharp large knife, slice squashes in half, from stem end to pointed end; scoop out seeds and remove stringy parts, scraping the center hole clean.
- In small bowl, use a fork to mash and stir the rest of the first set of ingredients until well-mixed.
- Divide into fourths and spread onto insides of squash halves, smearing a little on top edges as well. Place into baking dish (use scrunched up foil to keep the halves level) then pour in water until there's one-half inch in bottom of the baking dish to prevent squash skins from burning.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until very tender.
- While squash is baking, in small bowl mix streusel ingredients with fingers, breaking up butter; toss together until pieces are pea-sized (you can use a pastry blender). Keep cold in refrigerator until needed.
- When squash halves are done, remove and let cool.
- When skins are cool enough to touch, carefully spoon out butter-sugar sauce and acorn flesh, leaving a one-fourth inch to keep shell firm, and place heated ingredients into a medium-sized bowl. Stir well until creamy and mixed.
- Pile back into either 2 acorn shells or make smaller ones and spoon into all four.
- Sprinkle tops well with streusel topping. Return to oven in dry baking dish, and bake at 400 F for another 8-10 minutes.
- Place onto serving plates and garnish with chopped pecans, drizzle well with honey, and top with whipped cream if desired. Serve warm.