Chewy Granola Bars
Try this recipe to make your own homemade Chewy Granola Bars using delicious Sue Bee® honey!
- 1/2 cup Sue Bee® Honey
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup sugar-free applesauce
- Optional additions, up to 2 cups of any of the following: chocolate chips, raisins (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes then drained), unsweetened shredded coconut, sunflower seeds (unsalted), pumpkin seeds (unsalted), dried fruit (e.g., chopped apricots, cranberries), chopped toasted nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Toast oats for 5 minutes in a dry skillet over medium heat. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (including oats) and whisk together until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients until well-blended.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and blend gently until well-moistened. Fold in any of the optional ingredients. Mixture should be moist but not too wet. If it seems too dry and crumbly, add applesauce by the spoonful.
- Line a 9-by-13-inch pan with parchment paper and press mixture into pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. Cut into bars while warm, but let cool completely before removing from pan.