Twisted Honeybuns with Honey Almond Glaze
Janet Gill’s Twisted Honeybuns with Honey Almond Glaze was the winning entry in the Sweet Eats Holiday Recipe Contest! Enjoy these delicious treats on Christmas morning after opening presents with family or pair them with coffee and tea for an afternoon snack.
- 1/3 cup Sue Bee® Clover Honey
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 package instant yeast
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1/4-1/2 cup for kneading
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Sue Bee® Clover Honey
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- Maraschino cherries for decorating (optional)
- 1. Add 1/3 cup warm water to glass measuring cup. Sprinkle yeast onto water, do not stir, set aside.
- 2. In large bowl, mix melted butter, egg, 1 1/3 cup warm water, Sue Bee® honey and salt. Add yeast mixture and stir. Gradually stir in the flour until well combined. Remove dough to a lightly floured surface. Wash and dry bowl, grease bowl with vegetable oil or butter
- 3. Knead dough on floured surface, using an additional flour, for 6 to 8 minutes or until not sticky. Form into ball and place in greased bowl, rotate dough to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, let rise in warm place until doubled, about an hour.
- 4. While dough is rising make filling. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Melt butter in another small bowl. Grease or parchment line four large cookie sheets.
- 5. When dough is ready remove it to a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Working with one half, roll dough into a 12×16 rectangle. Spread with half the melted butter and sprinkle with half of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture all the way to the edges. Gently press filling onto dough to help it adhere. Lift dough and fold 12-inch sides to meet. Cut into 12 one-inch wide strips using a sharp knife dipped in flour. Separate strips. Holding ends, twist each strip several times, then coil onto prepared baking sheets, tucking ends under. Place 6 to a baking sheet, 3-inches apart. Cover buns with plastic wrap sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Repeat with other half of dough. Let rise in warm place until almost doubled, about 30 to 40 minutes. (Can also be refrigerated overnight for a slow rise. Allow to come to room temperature then bake.)
- 6. Remove plastic wrap and bake in a 350 F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 7. To make topping, mix all ingredients except almonds in saucepan. Bring to a low boil, boil 2 minutes, stirring often, then remove from heat. Allow to cool about 30 minutes to thicken slightly. Using a pastry brush, generously apply topping to warm or cooled rolls, covering tops and sides. Sprinkle with chopped almonds. Add a maraschino cherry to each bun if desired