Sourdough Sunflower Bread
- 1/4 cup Sue Bee® Honey
- 2 cups proofed sourdough starter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seed
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups white bread flour
- Measure all ingredients into bread machine pan, in order that they are listed.
- Set machine for dough cycle and start.
- At end of dough cycle, remove dough to lightly floured surface and shape into loaf.
- Place in greased loaf pan, cover and let rise until bread is 1 to 2 inches above edges of pan.
- Be patient, sourdough without the addition of commercial yeast can take up to several hours to rise.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- Top can be brushed with butter for a soft crust, if desired.
- NOTE: To proof your starter, feed it with equal parts of flour and lukewarm water, then let it sit overnight or up to 12 hours, covered.
- This is what develops the characteristic sour flavor and the longer the proof, the sourer it will be.
- If you start with 1 cup of starter and feed it 1 cup each of water and flour, you should have enough to make your bread and save the rest to start your next batch.