Honey Vanilla Graham Ice Cream Sandwiches
Maia Kenney’s Honey Vanilla Graham Ice Cream Sandwiches entry in the Sue Bee® honey Sweet Eats Recipe Contest!
- 1/2 cup Sue Bee® Clover Honey
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup chopped homemade
- Honey Graham Crackers
Honey Graham Crackers
- 3 tablespoons Sue Bee Clover Honey
- 3/4 all-purpose flour plus 1/2 cup whole wheat or graham flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
Honey Graham Crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In food processor pulse flour, salt, baking soda, brown sugar and butter until coarse meal is formed.
- Whisk Sue Bee® honey, vanilla and milk together and pour into food processor while pulsing until dough comes together.
- Roll out half the dough with a bit of flour to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick; place on parchment paper on cookie sheet. Repeat with other half of dough. Use cookie cutter of choice to make graham crackers and place on the cookie sheets.
- Fork all the crackers. Chill for 15 minutes, then bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown throughout and firm. Allow to cool completely.
- Whisk milk, salt, sugar, and vanilla seeds and beanpod in stainless saucepan; heat on medium until just below simmer.
- Remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Whisk cream and Sue Bee® honey in large bowl set in an ice bath; set a strainer over bowl.
- Whisk egg yolks until smooth in small bowl. Slowly temper the yolks with the hot milk mixture and pour back into saucepan. Stir constantly with wooden spoon on medium-low until mixture coats the spoon.
- Strain immediately into honey cream mixture and stir to incorporate. Chill for 4 hours and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions: at last minute stir in chopped unshaped graham crackers. Don't let ice cream get completely hardened.
- Sandwich a large scoop of ice cream between two shaped graham crackers, smush gently together, and freeze.