Honey Cornbread Crusted Spicy Chili Pie
Deborah Puette’s Honey Cornbread Crusted Spicy Chili Pie entry in the Sue Bee® honey Sweet Eats Recipe Contest!
- ¾ pound ground round
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces refrigerated restaurant style jalapeno cheese dip
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 8.5 ounce can whole kernel golden corn, drained
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, reserve
- 9 sprigs of cilantro (with stems) for garnish
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup of the shredded
- 4 Mexican cheese blend
- 1 ¾ cup yellow plain cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons Sue Bee® Clover Honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 medium tomato, cored and sliced into 9 thin slices
- 18 pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown the beef until light golden and drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean.
- Add chopped onion to skillet and sauté for 3 minutes. Return meat to skillet.
- Stir in jalapeno cheese dip until melted. Turn heat off.
- Stir in black beans, salsa, corn, cumin, chili powder, chopped cilantro, garlic powder, and shredded cheese until mixed.
- Grease a 2 quart oblong or rectangular casserole dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, salt, baking powder, buttermilk, Sue Bee® honey, and eggs until mixed.
- Spread half of the mixture evenly on the bottom of the dish. Spread the ground beef mixture on top of the cornbread mixture.
- Spread the remaining half of the cornbread mixture on top of the beef mixture.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 40 minutes or until crust is light golden.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Each serving can be topped with a tomato slice, 2 jalapeno slices and a dollop of sour cream on the side.
- Reserved sprigs of cilantro can be placed on plates as garnish.
- Serve immediately.